Welcome to Ganna Ngunis
Home of the S.A. Studbook/Landbouweekblad best producing Nguni cow for 2013!
Ganna Ngunis' mission is to concentrate on the breeding of pure animals that will have a positive effect on the fertility, mothering ability and therefore the efficiency (profitability) of breeders' and producers' herds.
Amongst other things, this implies that we recognize our position (as stud breeders) in the beef chain and acknowledge our role which is to increase the frequency of genes important to beef producers and consumers! Thus we realize the importance of the market environment as well as the biological environment in which beef role players find themselves and steer our breeding objectives accordingly! We believe in giving the market what they need and supplying it with the most information possible in order for them to make an informed decision! We are not hung up on visual fancy points which has no value in the beef chain, but select cattle to be functionally efficient, adapted, fertile, have above average mothering ability (milk), weans heavier than average calves and is thus more efficient (profitable). All of this off natural veld with minimum inputs.
Read article about Ganna Nguni Stud, Performance-bred Ngunis, Excellence through EBVs
Michiel van Niekerk runs a stud Nguni herd in the arid region of the western Free State between Petrusburg and Kimberley. For him, the economic realities of livestock farming mean that he cannot afford animals that underperform. The Ganna Stud benefits from recording, measuring and modelling. He talks to Annelie Coleman. Read more..
Volgens die nuutste statistieke is daar ongeveer 25 000 kommersiële vleisbeesboere in die land. Hierdie breë mark is die middelpunt waarom die hele bedryf draai en enige vleisbeesras of stoetteler wat 'n sukses wil maak, sal besef dat dit belangrik is om die grootste moontlike markaandeel binne hierdie segment te verkry. Read more..
• Herd with the most best performing cow awards in the Nguni breed in 2014!
• Highest price for a bull on the Diamant Nguni Breeders Sale in 2014!
• Highest price for a bull on the Central Nguni Club sale in 2013!
• Highest price for a bull for all auctions held under the auspices of the Nguni Cattle Breeders' Society in 2013!
• Highest price for a bull on the Free State Breeders' Group Auction in 2014!
• Best cow in the Nguni breed in the Landbouweekblad/S.A. Studbook as well as the Farmers' Weekly/ARC awards in 2013!
• Highest price for a female animal at the Diamant Breeders' Auction for 2011!
• Our herd has the second most ARC awards for best producing cows in the breed (2011)!
• Breedplan best Nguni cow group for 2005, 2006 and 2010!
• Highest price for a bull at the Free State Breeders' Group Sale for 2010!
• Highest price for a bull at the Central Nguni Club Sale for 2008 and 2009!
• Highest price for a bull at the Diamant Breeders Auction for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009!
• The average wean maternal (milk) breeding value of our cow herd is in the top 40% of the breed (1.2 kg)!
• The average wean direct breeding value of our cow herd is in the top 20% of the breed (+3.7 kg)!
• Bulls used in the last breeding season is on average in the top 5% for wean direct and in the top 30% for wean maternal (milk)!
• Highest price for a pregnant heifer at the Nguni Beef Interest Group Auction for 2011
• Highest price for a female animal at the Highveld Bull project and Nguni Beef Interest Group auction for 2013!
• We successfully passed the prescribed parentage verification testing (on all animals as nominated by S.A. Studbook) upon first testing! View S.A. Studbook certificate
Farmers' Weekly article about Ganna Nguni Stud - 22 Nov 2013
Die Nguni konsep.
Doeltreffende seleksie vir meer produktiewe (doeltreffende) beeste.
Genotype by environment interaction in the Nguni cattle breed.
'n Ondersoek na groei-eienskappe in die Nguni-beesras.
Deel 1 en 2 - Seleksiedoelwitte en die kwantifisering daarvan in 'n (Nguni) kudde.
Free State Breeders’ Group Auction
Date: 14 Februarie 2014
Venue: Parys, Afridome
Time: 11:00 am
Central Nguni Club Auction
Date: 15 October 2014
Venue: Bloemfontein, Kwaggafontein
Time: 11:00 am
Diamant Nguni Breeders Auction
Date: 6 November 2014
Venue: Langberg, Kimberley (Modderrivier road)
Time: 11:00 am